Lynn Thompson : President & Founder of Cold Steel Knives
Lynn C. Thompson Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Hunt Diary #1

Lynn has just returned from an exciting and intense hunt in Australia with the guys from Relentless Pursuit. This is the first of a series of blog posts featuring excerpts from Lynn's hunt diary.

I set off from LAX at 10:30 am on August 20th and arrived (after 3 long flights) at 7:30 am on the 23rd! One heck of a journey!!
We had no problems or delays at customs despite each having 3 bags at the maximum 70lbs and all of our hunt gear.

As soon as we arrived I began archery training with Buck and Tim.

On this trip I'll be using a Monster [Mathews Bow] with a 70lb draw, PSE Arrows and Rage Broad Heads as well as a few different spears (Cold Steel Samburu and Boar Spear) and my ever faithful Ruger Super Redhawk 454 (with Hornady 300 grain XTP ammo).
I'll also be field testing a wide range of Cold Steel products (including several new prototypes).

We started out at 7:30 am on the 24th, and stalked an old bull buffalo. We were forced to freeze several times for a miserably long time. We managed to get about 20 yards from him but I decided that it just wasn't close enough to guarantee a clean kill with my Spear. We moved on.
Not long afterwards we saw a real big pig. I went for my bow but he saw us and bolted, stirring up a whole load of boar that were hiding in the undergrowth. I can't believe I left my 454 in the truck!
I won't make that mistake again. From now on, it's staying by my side.

We stalked another huge bull for a long time. I took a shot with my bow at around 45 yards and missed him.
We moved on and soon spotted another big bull. We stalked him again for some time (my Kettlebell training with Doug is proving invaluable, not only for my strength and stamina while walking, climbing, throwing and shooting but also in helping me to freeze and stay incredibly still without tiring). I got within 22 yards of the buffalo and took a shot with my bow. It went a little higher than I'd hoped but I still managed a double lung shot. He ran, bled out and died about 150 yards away.

A couple of hours later and we stalked another bull. I took a single shot at 50 yards with my 454 and got a clean kill.
We spent a few more hours walking and enjoying the beautiful country. We spotted a lot of dingos and saw one more big bull buffalo just at the end of the day.
We stalked him and I threw my Samburu but it fell short. The light was fading fast so we called it quits for the day.

What an exhilarating first day. Lots of awesome hunting opportunities and beautiful wildlife in this great country.
I'm looking forward to tomorrow!!

- Lynn


At September 21, 2011 at 5:49 AM , Blogger Sam Green said...

Sounds like a great time! Keep us updated!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home